The observer


Since my younger days, I have always been keen on mysteries and abstruseness. Most of all I admire the details of the paths to their solution which involve deductive processes and inferences just like in the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

As a child, I had no clues about detectives or deduction. Every morning before school my mom would give me some money to buy breakfast but as usual, I saved that money to buy other stuff or to spend them on gaming with my friends. One of the stuff that I bought were manga volumes (around the year 2000 in Vietnam, this is what school kids would do and I was no exception). I got to know about Sherlock Holmes through a popular detective manga series called 'Detective Conan' or 'Case Closed' and have gathered up a considerably large manga collection. It was a pity, however, that I lost all of them during our family's relocation to Europe.

But that was no big deal. I kept wondering on about Holmes since then and have read almost all of th original stories. I have watched significant movie adaptations, I have played games about Holmes. I even visited Baker Street and other places related to Sherlock Holmes several times during my stay in London and I was overly thrilled by just being there.

Even right now at this moment I'm still reading and listening to the original stories during which I keep wondering about the particular case and the personality of the detective. Sometimes I even depict myself as Holmes solving his cases but, let's be honest, it is more like it I'm merely the observer who admires his mind so much that it would never cease to amaze me just as it would never cease to amaze Watson.

People have their own depictions of Holmes. Since there are so many theatrical adaptations already, my description of Holmes may be different to yours. To me, Holmes has an eccentric, calm and self-assuring personality. He has high devotion and can immerse himself completely in his work with the highest and most intense engagement which often makes Watson call him a cold and bitter man. He said: "My work is my own reward", "I cannot live without brainwork, what else is there to live for?", "It is of the first importance not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. A client is to me a mere unit, a factor in a problem." etc.

This post has gone too long. Sorry for that, but I could go on forever.

So, if you are interested in exploring the world of Holmes, I would recommend playing The Testament of Sherlock Holmes by Frogwares or at least watch it on YouTube https://goo.gl/99J1A7. Apart from that, you can certainly read or listen to some of Holmes' original stories. For examples: A Case of Identity, The Sign of the Four, The Hounds of Baskerville, etc.

Have fun deducing! :)






Comments

Popular Posts