Watson's depiction of Holmes #1

"Well, Watson", said Holmes when our visitor had left us, "what do you make of it all?"

"I make nothing of it", I answered frankly. "It is a most mysterious business."

"As a rule," said Holmes, "the more bizarre a thing is the less mysterious it proves to be. It is your commonplace, featureless crimes which are really puzzling, just as a commonplace face is the most difficult to identify. But I must be prompt over this matter."

"What are you going to do, then?" I asked.

"To smoke," he answered. "It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for... fifty minutes." He curled himself up in his chair, with his thin knees drawn up to his hawk-like nose, and there he sat with his eyes closed and his black clay pipe thrusting out like the bill of some strange bird...



I had come to the conclusion that he had dropped asleep, and indeed was nodding myself, when he suddenly sprang out of his chair with the gesture of a man who has made up his mind and put his pipe down upon the mantelpiece.



It is quite a three pipe problem  it takes up about an hour to smoke 3-4 pipes of tobacco.

Taken from The Red-Headed League by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Comments

Popular Posts